Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Seasons

As the final Autumn leaves cling to sleeping branches, the cooler air leads to cozier nights under goose down comforters. Hot cups of cocoa and tea warm chilled fingers. Holiday music fills the air, both indoors and out. Christmas trees decorate tops of cars and SUVs as families hurry home to start the decorating for the festivities to come.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" is true now, more than in mid July when some items graced store shelves. The push to buy early screams of corporate greed as cold, bony fingers stretch to our wallets to take our hard-earned money. Consumers hold the real power, however. We choose what to purchase, when and what we are willing to pay for it. What we need to start choosing, is if we really need the item. How will it improve our (or our intended recipient) lives? Is it really necessary? Is it worth the price? Does the gift you are considering express the sentiment you want the person to feel? Personally, I prefer something that shows how much the person cares. Even a knitted scarf, a plate of cookies, or a card with or without a family photograph and a personal greeting means so much more. I could tell my son in law thought about what I'd like when he bought me a gift set of teapot, cups and tea. I love tea! And the decoration of roosters on them warmed my heart. He noticed I enjoy roosters. I am still using and enjoying these cups and pot almost a year later.

My financial circumstances seem limited this year, but I don't feel pressured or disappointed. I have an overabundance of supplies to create thoughtful gifts - and those close to me know that I don't just sit and knit, crochet or cross-stitch; while I do, I talk with God. Hymns fill my thoughts and messages of spirituality and love flow faster than a television broadcast through fiber optic cables.

May you all have a love-filled holiday season.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza and Happy New Year!

No comments: