Thursday, October 30, 2008

Eventful Day

My day started at 3:00. I woke up congested and as I tried to get back to sleep, I found myself getting out of bed and going to the living room. My thoughts turned to prayer. This isn't unusual for me; prayer is the first thing I do when I wake up.

So I settled down on the couch and was just being quiet when the phone rang. I didn't get to it in time, but saw from the caller ID it was my daughter. I immediately called her back. 3:30am phone calls aren't the norm. My grandson was having difficulty breathing and they asked if I would watch my granddaughter while they took him to the ER. No brainer - I threw on a robe and hurried over to their apartment. I'm SO grateful we moved closer!

Jordan was bundled up in a blanket on the floor, his head resting on his pillow and he was really struggling to breathe. I dropped to my knees and immediate told him that God was right there loving and caring for him. That God is closer to him than his breath is and started singing hymns to him. I asked his mom if I could call a Christian Science practitioner for him, and she agreed. I called my husband who then called the practitioner. As dad isn't of the same religion, I want to respect how they care for the grandkids - and they are very alert, caring and responsible parents. My first thought is to handle fear and the feeling of panic. The atmosphere in the apartment started to calm down, and although Jordan fought getting dressed to go to the hospital, we finally got him bundled up and his parents headed out. I turned to the Bible for support. It was a very frightening picture seeing this 4 year old boy so fearful and struggling. The reality that he was, is and always will be a perfect, spiritual idea of divine Love was the main idea I worked with. After an hour, I got a call that he was much better. He had calmed down. The doctor said he had croup.

I continued to pray for him and when his sister woke up - it was amazing she slept through all the noise and activity - she asked where he was. I reassured her that all was well and mom, dad and Jordan would soon be home. Joanna called again to let me know they were on their way home, and in the background I heard Jordan say, "Don't wake up Maddie! I'm all better!" He was very brave and wanted to come home much sooner than the doctor would let him. When he came in the door, he ran to his sister, hugged and kissed her and kept saying, "I'm all better, Maddie! I'm all better!!"

I came home and slept for about 2 hours then went back to babysit while Jo and Brandon went to a meeting at Jordan's school. Jordan was sleeping peacefully, Maddie was quietly watching TV. After 2 more hours, I got home and caught up on DVR recordings and started working on a "stained glass" project and knitted - oh yes, and napped. Later in the afternoon I called to see how everyone was doing, and Jordan was playing quietly with his sister. All is well.

I'm so very grateful for - the online Bible Lesson and the continuous streaming audio of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy was invaluable to me today. When I couldn't focus on reading, the spiritual support was still right there., as God always is to us all.

No comments: