Thursday, April 30, 2009


It's been a few weeks since it officially turned to Spring. But it also took a while for our blossoms to catch up.
The weather has been mostly wet and cold with a few gorgeous, sunny ones tossed in. Now it's sunny, but chilly. This coming weekend will be pure liquid sunshine! Not such a bad thing; I have much work to do in the house. The nicer weather beckoned and we had to follow, so housework suffered.
I also have several new projects in the hopper. The finishing touches on a baby gift for my cousin's new baby girl should be completed this evening and mailed tomorrow. I am working on two writing projects for my mom and step-dad. My writing has been on the back burner for a few months. I'll get that up and running this summer. My babysitting days will cut back to about three, so that gives me more time for my hobbies and interests.
It's also time to dust off the old sewing machine(s). I have two, so I need to clean them and see which one works the best. I've ordered Balsam Pine from Maine to make scented pillows that I hope to sell at a local Farmer's Market, or online. Three pounds of the wonderful stuff should work out nicely.
The nice thing about the seasons changing is a sense of freshness. No matter what the time of year, it feels like I get another chance to do something different. I'm praying summer isn't too hot this year. Humidity and I don't like each other very much. I would like things a bit drier to get rid of the mold and mildew. They take up residence like visiting relatives that won't leave. I'm thinking of buying Mold and Mildew Remover by the case.
Another unwanted "pet" leaves shimmering trails across my carpet in my office. Slugs are strange creatures. I can't find any when I search for them. Cleaning up their slime isn't a fun chore. They look weird, too. And their purpose?? Bait for fishing?? One was in Rockie's food bowl last night. It was flipped into the grass with a stick by me - after I first inspected it and looked at it's spots, little nobs on it's little head, sort of cute little face... if it really has a face. Still.... ew. I suppose a trip to the local nursery to buy some slug bait that is safe around pets is in order. Don't cats eat slugs? You'd think they'd at least try to earn their keep, furry little beasts that they are. And I almost don't dare mention the ants. We are at war with them. I'm winning.
No complaints. In Montana we had racoons, porcupines, coyotes, all kinds of interesting critters - oh yes, the darling deer that loved to eat my garden. Every part of the country has it's blessings and curses. I'm still waiting for an earthquake I was told happen frequently. There was one a few years ago, but I slept through it.
Time to tidy my wee apartment for the evening. The sun is setting and the golden light is peaceful. Perhaps, tomorrow evening, I'll go downtown to the river to watch the sun set. It's supposed to be the last "nice" day of the week before the rains come back. To sit on a grassy hill, watch boats on the Willamette River and sip something delicious would be just right.

No comments: